Skelton now has a population of over 1600 in some 670 households. Being clearly separated from neighbouring communities by surrounding farmland it has managed to retain many characteristics of village life, despite its proximity to York .
Administratively it is part of the Unitary Authority of the City of York Council. The Rural West Ward elects two councillors to the City.
Skelton Parish Council is elected by the residents of the parish to administer local matters.
The vast majority of dwellings are grouped to the south and north of the two roads which lead off the A19 trunk road to the village - the modern Fairfields Drive and the ancient St Giles Road - The Village - Moorlands Road route.
To the east and north are located scattered dwellings across the broad farmlands, whilst across the A19 to the west more recent residential development has taken place.
Services and Young People
The Village Hall, overseen by a committee of residents, is used by several organisations for their meetings and events, and is available for private hire. The Blacksmiths Arms public house provides refreshment and relaxation, whilst spiritual needs are catered for at St Giles church on The Green and by the Galtres Church which meets in the Village Hall.
The Surgery and village shop and post office complete the range of village facilities.
A mothers and toddlers group meets in the Village Hall.
The first stage of formal education up to age eleven is provided in the village at the Skelton Community Primary School .
Thereafter youngsters travel into York or to Easingwold for further schooling.